Super Simple Tricks to Wedding Dress Shopping with Davids Bridal
It’s officially the time to start wedding dress shopping!
Trav and I got engaged at the end of April 2017 at Disneyland. Since then we’ve been looking at venues and finally found one we just LOVE! This post has been sponsored by David’s Bridal but all opinions are my own.
It’s recommended that a bride-to-be finds her wedding dress 8 months prior to the wedding. With my wedding in June, December is a great time for me to start the exciting process of wedding dress shopping.
Why should I buy a wedding dress 8 months in advance?
I know, it sounds like 8 months is a long period of time. But experts say to purchase your dress 8 months in advance so the bridal shop has plenty of time to order your dress, get it altered (without a rush alteration cost), and leave time for any unexpected mishaps. As you start your wedding planning, you will realize that eight months goes by in the blink of an eye.
To be honest, I had no idea what kind of wedding dress I wanted. I relied heavily on Pinterest to get an idea of what I wanted prior to my wedding dress appointment. However, most of them are foreign designers and very expensive. I can’t imagine spending over $2,000 on a dress I will only wear for a couple hours.
I recently visited David’s Bridal for a wedding dress appointment.
I live in Orange County, California so I conveniently visited the one over by South Coast Plaza. The location is upstairs and so big! They have “mini shops” to organize everything. David’s Bridal have sections for Flower Girls, Bridesmaids, Mother of the Bride, Special Occasions, Bachelorette Party, and of course wedding dresses!
Previously visiting an awful boutique bridal shop I had found online, I was very skeptical to wedding dress shop. The store was so dirty, dresses were crammed into the tiny store. There was NO BATHROOM; and Cash had to pee the second we got there. So you could imagine my surprise when I walked into David’s Bridal. It was immaculate, spacious, and mirrors everywhere. You will be able to see what you look like in your dress from every angle and every type of lighting.
Most appointments run about 90 minutes long and that was more than enough time to find my top 3.
Here’s what you should bring:
- Your Mom, your Sister, your Maid of Honor, your BFF, or anyone who is gonna give you their honest opinion on how you look (trust me, the truth might sting a little but you’re gonna look BOMB on your big day!)
- Nude Undergarments and/or nipple covers. Your stylist will be in the dressing room with you helping you change. They’re super professional and see bodies all day long, but something to consider.
- David’s Bridal also supplies petticoats, corsets, and shoes for each dress; which really surprised me!
- Your wedding day shoes if you already have them. If not, you can borrow theirs.
- Hair clips to give you a better idea of how you want to wear your hair with different styles of dresses.
- David’s Bridal has plenty of veils, belts, hair pieces, etc to try on with the dresses
- Inspo Pictures. Have 10 photos ready to show your stylist but also keep an open mind to their suggestions. I was not feeling A-Line or Ballgown but those two styles ended up in my Top 3 Favorites!!
Since I didn’t know what I wanted, I told the stylist to show me all the dresses that were “extra” and unique. I was impressed with the pricing selection; everything is under $2000 … and they carry WHITE by Vera Wang! Ready to see all the beauties I tried on? I’ve listed them by price because I don’t want Trav seeing my favorite and getting any hints!
$0 – $500
I’m just so obsessed with that lace up back and the crepe pants are SO COMFY!!
$500 – $1,000
What an amazing courthouse or reception wedding dress!
It’s just enough pink to look like a princess and a bride, swoon!
$1,100 – $2,000
Oleg Cassini Floral Ballgown: $1,258
This dress was so flattering on my figure. I felt like the Queen of England in this gown. I’m not sure how I’d pee on my big day BUT it comes with pockets. I’m sold!!
Melissa Sweet Scalloped A-Line: $1,258
If I had gone shopping all by myself, this is definitely one I would have picked. Right up my alley and so boho!
The back of this dress, OMG! It gave me curves, it has a bow, and a low back. So flattering!
Vera Wang Tiered Organza Gown: $1,998
You know that moment when you just wanna cry because you feel so beautiful? That’s how I felt in this one. Maybe it’s because it’s WHITE by Vera Wang and Vera impresses everyone from Kate Hudson in Bride Wars or Carrie from Sex In The City. This dress is seriously show-stopping.
Pearl and Crystal Peep Toe Shoes: $99.95
I wore these with all of my dresses and they were very comfy! They fit true to size; I wear a size 8.
Last & Final Tips
- Weddings are a very special occasion and you deserve to feel like a million dollars! Venture outside of your comfort zone because you’ll never get a chance to wear a dress like this again. Be a little extra, be a little more flashy, and you are the star of the show.
- It’s ok to not make a decision on the day of your appointment. Your stylist will write down your top 3 and record them. So you can think about it before making such an important decision
- Go celebrate with your viewing party! Save the champagne and brunch for AFTER your appointment but make sure you celebrate, this is a fun day!!!